Daily Group Meetings for Addiction Treatment
There are two types of group meetings at Boca Cove Detox used to foster community and create a safe place for individuals to share.
A process group is a therapeutic place where people learn to share thoughts and support one another. This is what we tell patients to expect from our process group sessions:
- Everyone gathers each day to share their struggles and express their feelings.
- Group members listen attentively and provide ideas and support to their peers.
- Therapists listen and provide feedback to all group members.
Our educational group equips participants with the knowledge they need to overcome the challenges of addiction. We apply this knowledge to a community setting, showing people why a support network is critical for recovery.
Boca Cove Detox’s educational group goals:
- We help patients understand why addiction is a disease.
- Understand and facilitate a 12-step program and how to prevent relapse.
- Discuss the effects of addiction on families and relationships and work to begin repairing the damage.
- We help patients learn how to adapt to their post-treatment living situations.
- Discuss mental health issues and how they affect addiction and recovery.
There are also medical education sessions to help patients address the physical effects of addiction and substance use. Patients will have the chance to learn about addiction traits and how they can influence one’s sobriety.
Educational Materials: “Staying Sober” with Terrence Gorski
One of the educational materials that we incorporate is Terrence Gorski’s “Staying Sober.” He is recognized globally for his practical ideas and strategies, and he offers actionable solutions for people to stay sober and live a fuller life.
Boca Cove Detox uses this book alongside our treatment programs as it offers a written guide and practical tools to help those in recovery.